Why I started this blog

After the success of my other blogs Moroccan Cuisine and Customs and Morocco Travel Tips and Advice I thought to start up with this Venice project, because I love Venice and I visited it and its area about a zillion times. I watched it develop, change and still remain the same. Venice is one of my favorite places ever and a place I feel the need to visit every year. I hope you will enjoy this blog and help me grow it by comments and following it. Please also visit my other blogs where I' m telling you everything about Morocco, Moroccan travel and Moroccan cuisine. Thank you

Top 10 Things to do in Venice, Italy

Top 10 things to do in Venice, Italy

   

I have been to Venice a gazillion times and I still miss it, along with its unique atmosphere. That’s why I thought to share my Top Ten Things to do in Venice with you. Of course this list differs for everyone. There is so much to do and especially so much to buy in Venice. I did my best to include some things I find unique to do in Venice and which I love to do, every time I visit.  Hope you guys can learn some of this list. And ask me freely, comment and suggest me stuff you would like to read about in this Venice Blog session.

  1. Drink an Italian espresso at a café
Italian coffee is world famous and Italy has some of the biggest café culture in the world as an addition. Sit in a café and enjoy just watching people, watching buildings, watching a canal (if you are lucky to find a café overlooking one) espresso is the strongest genre, while macchiato is an espresso that comes with a bit of foamed milk on top. For the Americans who read this: it’s way stronger and tastier than American style coffee but for its strength please consume with care.

  1. Get lost and don’t use maps
Venice is small and it’s practically and island. This means, you practically cannot really get lost. Also, the street signs are helping tourists all the time as to which way to go. But try to get off the beaten track and explore Venice a little bit. You can find some very beautiful and unique things this way, such as small parks, lovely buildings, and small churches. I will include a photograph what I saw, when I did decide to do go through Venice from a complete different direction and I think it’s marvelous. Not every day one can see a war-gondola and the building that’s housing it makes it even more outstanding. So be brave, don’t go with the flow.
Not every day one sees a war-gondola

  1. Try a real Italian style toilet
I know this is odd and I won’t go into details on that. All in all Italians generally don’t use toilets like we do. It’s a Southern European thing which is also present in Northern Africa and Middle East. But try it out! If you sit in enough cafés you will eventually find one with such toilet, although places keep changing them to Western style toilets because they occupy smaller space, it’s still something unique.

  1. Feed the pigeons at St. Marc Square
For this, you will need sunflower seeds which you cannot buy at place, so you either take some with you, or try to buy some in Mestre and area. There are some pet shops which sell them ( girasole) unfortunately they come in large packs and cost 5-6 EUR. Otherwise its great fun! All you need to do is take some into your hands then stand with your hands wide out like a scarecrow. The first pigeons will fly on your hands in the first few minutes. They are gentle and its a very nice experience. Unfortunately last year Indians/ Pakistanis tried to sell the seeds for plenty of money and it’s not nice. Luckily this year we haven’t seen them.

Me with the pigeons, had lots of fun

  1. Get on a boat
I mean on any boat. Let that be a big one, a vaporetto or a gondola just travel on a boat while being in Venice because that’s what makes the experience a whole. Boats ( big boats and vaporettos) all go to the neighboring islands such as Burano ( colorful Venice) , Murano ( glassmaking), Lido and Punta Sabbia ( popular for their beaches). Or you can take the Vaporetto at St. Marco Square and go for a ride through the Grand Canal back to the station (the only drawback is that it’s very slow). 

  1. Try a real tramezzini sandwich
Tramezzini is the whitest bread I have ever seen and it’s very typical of Italy. Typically it reminds one of a toast bread but it’s not toasted. It’s a typical sandwich in Venice and area and they use a specific method to include a larger than life filling in them. I have seen more than 40 different types and they are lovely. If you find a good place they will only cost EUR 1.50 -2 per piece.
They are very copious!!


  1. Be artistic with the photographs
Venice is a literal goldmine for taking great, interesting, outstanding, unique photos. There is so much to photograph over here from the canals to the houses, the windows, the white-washing hanging outside the houses, the food, the atmosphere it’s just great! I myself always try it out and it’s great how much time I can spend with taking photos. If your phone has a good quality camera then you will be the ace with all the great pics you can take in Venice.

One of my artistic pics :)


  1. Try a huge meringue
This meringue is very typical of Venice in all and you will see it at many places. What keeps most people amazed about them is their sheer size: they are HUGE! They come in all sorts of different flavors and generally if you buy them by the tourist route they can be pretty expensive but if you like sweets they are worth their price. Try to see a place where many buy them so you ensure you buy a fresher one because some may stand in the window for a pretty long time in some shops.

Huge meringues in Venice


  1. Sit down on the shore of a canal and just relax
This is something that I personally find important. Get off the beaten track and just sit down and relax. If you find a nice canal, it’s all the better. It’s important to pace yourself well when being in Venice, because no matter how we look at it, you need a walk a lot in there. So let’s not let your Venice trip degraded to some mindless hiking experience. Sit down frequently. If you can buy some drink or food at a supermarket you can eat it that way too, or you can take photos. Having some relax and rest is top priority through so live with it.

  1. Eat a piece of coconut
This one sounds weird I know but Venice is a little bit popular of these very specific coconut stands: in fact I’ve never seen them anywhere else in the world so far. The little fountains will give coconuts enough water supply in order to keep them humid. Also, coconuts are full of healthy minerals and vitamins and one piece costs only 1 EUR so I would definitely suggest you all to try it out once in Venice.

I love these coconuts, something that stayed with me

So, this is my list of Top Ten things to do in Venice and which I suggest you to try out too. But comment and let me know if there are other things I should include on this list, ask me questions and last but not least please make suggestions on what you would like to read about in my Venice blogs.


Comments

Popular Posts